Monday, August 7, 2017

Stamping 101 What Tools Do I Need?

Hey Y'all!
Today is Monday, August 7, 2017.  School has started back here, and since my youngest graduated last May, it was kind of strange not having a child starting school last Friday.  To be honest, it was kind of nice.  Of course, now we are finding out just how expensive college really is! And she isn't even going to a big university!
I always hated that school supply list though.  They listed all of that stuff, and then the year would get started, and they would need something different.  Then they started putting stuff like kleenex and clorox wipes.  I was waiting for them to add toilet paper... I was gonna ask if I don't send it does she still get to go to the restroom??? But we all know having the right supplies, the right TOOLS makes a job much easier.  Right now that awesome man of mine is changing the brakes on our truck.  He has a gazillion tools, more than I have crafting stuff! Well, that might be stretching it, but he can't say anything about my stuff because he has alot too! But if he didn't have those things, changing brakes wouldn't be happening!
So where am I going with all of this jibber jabber about school supplies and tools?  Why, to card making and paper crafting of course! Before we go any further in our series, I want you to know what tools you need to get the job done.
Now, I am going to tell y'all a secret before you see the pictures.  I had started card making and papercrafting a couple of years before I had even heard of Stampin' Up.  That's right, I had not even HEARD of Stampin' Up 2 year ago.  I guess I have lived a sheltered life.  Anyway, I have CONTRABAND in my craft room.  I hear your gasp, I know.  But in my defense I would have bought the Stampin' Up stuff if I had known, because the quality is better.  So, you ask, why haven't you replaced the CONTRABAND with the good stuff?  Because there is so much more that I want such as ink and paper and stamps....and my man is awesome but he ain't rich!
So here are the basics you will need if you want to be serious about card making and papercrafting things like 3D projects, etc.
1. A paper trimmer
       Something you can use to cut a straight line with good readable measurements.  Here is mine:
2. A Scoring Tool
       A Scoring Tool allows you to mark paper so it is easier to fold.  If you just plan to make simple card bases that you will fold in half, this would not be necessary.  But if you plan to do any fancy folds or make 3D projects such as boxes, this tool is a must! I know, more Contraband!

Now, the beauty of Stampin' Up is they have a tool that is an all-in-one!  The Stampin' Trimmer (item #126889, page 205 in the Annual Catalog) has a cutting blade and scoring blade.  They also have the Simply Scored Scoring Tool (item # 122334, page 205) that has more features than this one I have. It actually has place markers to mark your scoring lines, which would be so helpful when you are doing multiples of the same project.  That is probably going to be my next purchase.

3.  A Bone Folder
          One of my downline calls it a "Bone Crusher" lol!  Let's not use it for that!  This helps give your creases a sharp, crisp fold.  It's almost rubbed off, but do you see that Stampin' Up emblem?  Yep, that's the real deal!

4.  A good pair of scissors
       No explanation needed.  I am putting a picture of Stampin' Up's snips, because mine are on the way!
5.  Adhesive
         This is your personal preference.  To me, the Tombow liquid glue is the most versatile AND the most economical, and I am all about saving money!  But different adhesives are used for different things.  Page 203 of the Annual Catalog has a chart to help you choose the right adhesive for the project you are making.
So there you have it, the top 5 Tools for Cardmakers, according to Nina anyway.  What are some of your "must haves?''  Leave a comment and let me know!  Now if they could just make a tool (like a magic wand maybe?) to help me with my blog!  I am still trying to figure this thing out, so please be patient!  If you are interested in any of the items I have listed, please go to my online store at www.southernaccents.stampinup.net.  Hopefully soon I will have a button you can just click to order.  And if you are just starting cardmaking, NO CONTRABAND!! Get the good stuff, and I hope you will get it from me!  Thanks for stopping by!
Nina

1 comment:

  1. You are so right, having the right tools for the job is so important. Such a great post to share with anyone new to the hobby.

    ReplyDelete