Sunday, January 12, 2020

"Thumping Technique" and More with Stampin' Write Markers

Hey Y'all!
I've had this card in my head for a few weeks, actually ever since I joined the book launch team of Shellie Rushing Tomlinson's new book, Finding Deep And Wide.  When I saw the cover, I knew the stamp sets I wanted to use, and this is what came from that:
The subtitle of the book is "Stop Settling for the Life You Have and Live the One Jesus Died to Give You."  This is the book's cover...
The release date is January 28, but guess what, y'all! I am attending the Book Launch party in West Monroe, LA!  I can't wait! I wanted to make a card to give to some people that are going with me, and I love the way it turned out!  This book has enhanced my devotion time so much! Y'all have to read it.  But I digress, back to my card.  Do you see where I got the inspiration?

The first step to making this card is to stamp the woman, the image that will be in the very "front" of the scene first.  Then I created a mask by stamping the image onto a sticky note and "fussy-curring" around the image.  You "mask off" the image, then start building your scene.  I started with Pool Party for my sky...I used the ink refill for this, since Pool Party is such a light color, and ink refills give you a more vibrant color than getting ink from the stamp pad.  I used an aquapainter to apply the Pool Party at the top, also the "grass" at the bottom, and then to color in the image of the lady.  The "Thumping" technique I what I used to get the multiple colors on the mountains.  To do this, you "thump" or tap a Stampin' Write marker onto the stamp.  I inked the mountains up first with Old Olive ink, then used Cajun Craze, Pumpkin Pie, and Mango Melody markers.  The second marker technique was used to get the water effect.  I inked up the stamp with Balmy Blue, then simply swiped the marker across the stamp to make somewhat of a stripe.  Once you are finished building your scene, you can remove the mask and color your image.  You can watch my YouTube video that shows all of these steps.

Make sure you hit the subscribe button when you are finished!


Did you notice the bow on her hat?  I used some of the new ribbon from the 2020 Mini Catalog, the Crinkled Seam Binding ribbon, and I colored it with a Pool Party Dark Stampin' Blend.  The cool thing about this ribbon is you can make it any color you want it to be!  After coloring, I just tied a knot, used a glue dot to attach it, then trim it down to the size I wanted.

This sentiment conveyed exactly the message I wanted on this card, reflecting the message of the book.  Y'all, life is SO MUCH MORE than going through the motions!  I don't want to get preachy in a craft blog, but Jesus can give you ABUNDANT life!  That is a message that is worth sharing no matter what platform!  And the reason I love cardmaking is it allows me to encourage others and help them in tough times, celebrate in exciting times, and just let people know they are loved. 


Tips and Tricks:
  • Whisper White Thick Card Base 8-1/2 x 5-1/2, scored at 4-1/4, Coastal Cabana panel 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, Watercolor paper 4 x 5-1/4
  • Usually, you are told to leave a small border when fussy-cutting an image, but when creating a mask, you need to cut right on the line.  Otherwise you will have "ghosting" where there is a white space around your image
  • When applying ink to stamps with markers, always use the "side" of the brush tip.  Don't use the tip directly onto the stamp or it will damage the tip of your marker
  • Start with the lightest color first when you are using multiple colors to color your stamps.
  • There are several different ways you can get ink to watercolor.  My favorite way is to press a clear block into the ink pad. You can also use a Stampin' Write marker and scribble on the block (this won't work with the blends!)  Another way is to place a drop of reinker onto the block, this will give you a darker, more vibrant color.
  • Elements like rhinestones should be used in odd numbers, and place them in a triangular shape.  This is more pleasing to the eye 
If you would like to order any of the supplies used to make this card, simply click on the images below to go to my online store.  I've listed entire set of markers, and also the color families I used in this project.  Unfortunately, they don't sell individual markers except for the Basic Black. Remember that Saleabration is happening now through March 31--that means you get FREE items when you place qualifying orders.  Plus, you get Loyalty Rewards Points from me!

Saleabration is also a great time to become a Stampin' Up Demonstrator!  You get some extra stuff if you sign up during the months of Saleabration.  If you have a long wishlist and/or are looking to make some extra money, let's talk!  I would love for you to join my team, the Southern Accents Stampin' Squad (SASS for short.)  Being a demonstrator is so much fun, I have met so many wonderful people, made some great friends, and I get to share my passion with others!  Click on Join My Team at the top of the page to see more info.



Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment